Install Bindings

This is the first time I installed wood bindings and purfling on my ukuleles. It takes more time and care than the cellulose faux tortoise and cream bindings I've used before. The first step was milling and bending the bindings. I chose rosewood and walnut for the bindings. Wood bindings require mitres at the top and bottom and additional clamping. I tried gluing with super-glue and combination super-glue/titebond. I found gluing the purfling and binding at the same time with tite-bond gave me enough time to align and clamp properly. Installation was done one half of the uke at a time...a very time consuming process.
Wood bindings were bent. The fir edges keep the bindings aligned.
Walnut Bindings
 Glue one half side at a time and mitre top & bottom
Wood Bindings are time consuming to install, but they
are aesthetically pleasing.  

Comments