Prepare Ukulele Top and Back

The top and back plates were book matched and glued. Marquette center strips were integrated into the back designs. Simple rosettes were inlayed to the ukulele sound boards. The solid wood purfling required heat to bend into proper shape. I used the circular barrel of my branding iron  and voltage regulator to bend the purfling.

In the spirit of this blog, I'm researching different bracing configurations. Inspired by the sound of my Koaloha tenor ukulele, I designed a similar bracing pattern. The simple design includes two horizontal braces, a flat horizontal brace and bridge patch in the lower bout. In lieu of a uni-brace I shifted the lower back brace to,align with the horizontal top brace and reinforcing the side near the waist. This brace design is used in the concert ukulele (C-2X  #011) and tenor ukulele (T-2X  #012). Tenor ukulele #013 is traditionally fan braced. I am anxious to compare the sound of the different brace designs.

Traditional fan brace (left) New Brace Design (right)




New brace design

Comments