Bone Nut Fabrication

All the ukuleles I've built to date are "zero fret". The zero fret acts as the nut. It is convenient and provides accurate intonation. I've decided to have a traditional nut for the tenor and two concert ukuleles. I studied the nut on my Koaloha Tenor ukulele as a starting point and outlined my steps:

1. Cut a blank bone to 1/4" height x 1/8" width x 1-1/2" length. Note: these dimensions will vary.
2. File the top of nut to 3/32" width angling down towards the nut base.
3. Confirm the neck area is flat and perpendicular to the top edge of the fret board.
4. Locate the the two outer strings (G and A). 
5. Determine spacing of the two inner strings
6. Cut nut slots with nut files.
7. File to proper height
8. Ramp back edge of the nut
9. Polish Nut
10. Glue nut with 2 to 3 spots of glue

Koaloha Tenor Nut

The bone Nuts are secured in small vise and roughed out 
on the circular sander
Shaping the Nut on the Sanding Board
The Nut fits flat on the neck 



Comments