The "Omaha" Ukulele

 This past year, I've been building two tenor ukuleles Mile's ukulele (#008) which I've been blogging and a second ukulele (#007) I named the "Omaha" . I'm making the "Omaha" ukulele for a very dear family that "adopted" me when I was stationed in a Nike Missile Battalion in Nebraska. This ukulele honors the family and their mid-western roots.

The ukulele has the same specs as #008. The top is Engleman spruce and back and sides are very old Koa.  I obtained the Koa from my friend Mike in Santa Monica. Mike bought the Koa planks that were harvested in the early 1950s from a luthier's family. The resins in the Koa have dissipated, the wood is very dry and resonant. Exceptional tone is anticipated. 

I'll document  the main differences from the #008 ukulele: headstock and heel inlay and sunburst finish.



Comments