Dove Tail Neck Joint

I've researched the web for the ukulele dovetail neck joint. Many  luthier's use the router and template method to cut the joint. A few luthiers hand cut the joint. Both methods need to be very precise. I designed and drafted an ukulele dovetail neck joint and made a practice joint on scrap wood by hand.  My first attempt was not good. I couldn't get a precise cut with my razor saw and my chiseling skills need improvement. The dovetail joint requires a skilled craftsman with a lot of experience. I decided to try the router and template method.

The router and template method includes the following steps:
Select router hardware
Fabricate templates
Fabricate dovetail jig

Router Hardware: The hardware selected is compatible with my 1/4"  shank Bosche "Colt" router. The router bits Selected are:
-Whiteside K31 7-degree dovetail bit that cuts to a 3/8" depth
-Whiteside 3000 that cuts to a 1/4" depth. This bit is used  to hog out much of the area not needing the dovetail. 
-I'm using a 1/2" bearing to follow the template pattern with both bits. 

Templates: the dovetail joint requires two templates. One for the neck (male) and the uke body (female). I initially made 1/8" templates, but found 1/4" thick clear plastic was necessary for proper router bit height. I traced the template patterns on to the plastic. I rough cut the templates with a drill and fine tuned the pattern using my drill press sander. The drill and sander speed should be slow for safety and to avoid melting the plastic. Wear safety glasses! 
Drill major areas out

Rough sand to remove material

Sand template to final shape


Dovetail Jigs: the jigs are made of 3/4" plywood with the plastic template secured on top. There are two jigs, one for the neck and the second for the body.  The body and neck are held firmly against the jig with simple clamps. The jigs have a tail extension that is clamped to the work bench.

The jigs clamp to the work bench

The Dovetail Neck Jig

The Dovetail Body Jig

Close-up of the Body Jig



Comments