Binding Trimmer Jig

The off the shelf bindings are 1/4 inch  in height and 3 feet in length. The bindings are primarily for guitars and look a bit out of scale on an ukulele. Visually, I feel 3/16 inch height works well for the ukulele. Granted the bindings may be scraped and sanded down to 3/16". A task that could take a few hours. I needed a tool that could take 1/16 inch off the binding edge.

I made a jig out of scrap wood 1"x2"x14". I routed the top of the jig creating a rabbet of 3/16" depth and 1/16" width. The 1/4" binding sits in the rabbet and  taped on both ends and it is 1/16" proud of the jig edge. The binding is shaped to 3/16" height with my "Robo-sander", a cylindrical sander with a rubber bearing on the bottom.
A 3/16"x1/16" rabbet is routed 
The binding sits 1/16" proud of the edge
The binding is shaped to 3/16" with a "Robo-sander"
The 3/16" binding (left) and 1/4" binding right









Comments