Final Finishing



The concert ukulele bodies were sprayed with a water based lacquer finish and left to "cure" for 100 hours. Then the ukuleles were wet sanded with micro mesh ( progressively coarse to fine sandpaper from 1500 to 12000 grit). The end result is supposed to be a mirror finish. As I sanded, the finish started to flake off leaving low spots. I am not sure what I did wrong. It could be the cure time or wet sanding. Anyway, I took the lacquer finish off, sanded and sealed with 2-3 coats of shellac. The ukuleles were French polished with shellac. Each finish coat is applied by hand with a small cloth pad infused with shellac and alcohol. About 30-40 coats were applied, leveled with 600 grit sand paper and finished with about 10 additional coats. The finish was cured for 100 hours and given the micro mesh treatment. I "dry" sanded the ukuleles until a mirror finish was achieved. I was pleased with results.

Comments