Spray Lacquer Finish

Two coats of shellac were sprayed on to the ukulele bodies and necks with a Preval CO2 sprayer. The shellac seals the ukuleles and provides a good base for the lacquer to adhere to. I chose to finish the ukuleles with Target Coatings EMTECH EM7000HBL a water based lacquer for green reasons and ease of cleaning. To clean the gun, I shoot warm water and cold water through the gun.
I used a Porter Cable pancake compressor and a Tooluxe mini gravity spray gun that I recently purchased on Amazon. I set the regulator to 35-40 psi and spray the heel, tail, sides, back and top. I got the best results with two light coats by spraying in one direction left to right and finish with top to bottom. Spraying perpendicular to the sides minimized running. But there were a couple run spots that needed to be leveled out. After eight coats, I leveled the coats using 220, 320 and 400 grit sandpaper. The final four coats were sprayed and set aside to dry for a week. I am pleased with my new compressor and spray gun.

Comments