Install Frets


The fingerboards were cut with a bandsaw and trued up on my manual glass-sandpaper jointer. Frets were installed using the following method: double-side tape the fretboard to a flat surface,bevel the fret slot edges with a file, wet slot with a damp rag, cut fret 1/4" longer on both sides, tap the center of fret then the sides and seat the fret with a wood caul an heavy hammer. This took 2 or 3 tries before I could seat the frets properly. I thought there has to be a better way.

I made my own fret press using an old bicycle brake pad and aluminum stock. The fret tool is inserted into my drill press and provides even pressure to seat the fret. No more hammering.

The frets were trimmed even with the fret board, filed flush to the edge and filed at a 45 degree angle. The frets were leveled using a carpenter's level with sandpaper doubled-taped to it's edge. I marked the fret tops with a black sharpie and leveled until the marks were gone. The frets were re-crowned with a fret file making sure it was smooth on the sides for good playing action. The frets were polished with micro mesh. I like this method better than adding the frets to the fretboard after it is attached to the body.

Comments