Preparing Fretboard


The fretboard is made out of rosewood and was pre-slotted. I decided to have a wider fretboard
(1-1/2"@ nut) than the Martin Uke (1-5/16"@ nut).

I measured out the width at the nut, first fret, 12th fret and at the 19th (end) fret , the new dimension will be:

Nut= 1-1/2", 1st Fret=1-17/32", 12th Fret=1-7/8", 19th Fret 1-7/8".

The height of the fretboard will be sanded down to 5/32".

I tapered the fretboard with the bandsaw. Then sanded the edges with the belt sander and did the final shape by hand sanding. I had issues getting the correct thickness by belt sanding and hand sanding. I couldn't get it flat. I finally used my thickness sander (duh) to finish the job. After reviewing the neck dimensions and the fretboard dimensions, it looks like I will have a narrower fretboard because the rough cut of the neck is not wide enough for a 1-1/2" nut. For future necks, I will leave an ample width 1/8"-1/4" on either side over the plan width.
Sitting side by side with the Martin tenor, it is starting to look like an ukulele.

Comments