Tenor Ukulele Build


After building a pineapple soprano ukulele based upon a vintage Kamaka(right) under the tutelage of luthier in Oakland, I decided to build a tenor ukulele based upon the Martin T-1 uke.

The Martin Tenor Ukulele is all mahogany, 17" scale and joined at body at the 12th fret. I started with a plan from Guild of American Luthiers (GAL) and measurements from my Martin tenor. The sound from these Martins are bright and produce suprisingly amount of volume. I decided to build from a kit I found on ebay that came with mahogany back, pre-bent mahogany sides, wood for a mahogany neck, a cedar top, rosewood finger board, bridge, kerf linings, and material for back and tone braces.

The first few months I spent most of my time building jigs to fabricate the ukulele:
1. body mold
2. fox bending machine
3. jig to cut neck scarf joint
4. neck hold down jig
5. ukulele cradle jig

Next joining the sides and preparing the sound board.

Comments