Slotting the Fretboard

I purchased a Stew-Mac fret miter box and saw.   This will be the first  fretboard I'm slotting from scratch. First I squared one side of a rosewood blank, cut the width to 1/4" and flattened the fretboard surfaces on the  thickness sander. Next I set the depth of cut to 5/64" by setting four bearings on the mitre box to the proper depth. I used a feeler gauge between the bearings and the saw stop to adjust the depth. The fretboard was attached to the template with double sided tape. The template is aligned by a pin and notch system. Each notch corresponds to a fret slot and is cut with the Japanese fret saw. Once set up the operation is very fast.

The Fretboard Mitre Box comes with a Template and Saw

After set-up the Fret Slotting operation goes quickly



Comments