New Project: Two Concert Ukuleles

I started a new project: two concert ukuleles.  These will be ukuleles #4 and #5.  I purchased a 7 foot board of koa wood on the Big Island of Hawaii last  year. I cut a couple billets and milled the back, top and side plates for this project.  This will be the my first all koa wood ukulele build. The book matching and glue up went well. Next time I will thickness sand the plates before glue up. The back were sanded to 3/32" and the soundboards slightly less. I measured the thickness of the sound board of my Kamaka concert uke @ 1/16", I couldn't go that thin. All went well except for the second soundboard, I sanded it too thin trying to remove some bandsaw marks. Oh well, I can use it for a soprano uke or peg head plate. I prepared a new soundboard this morning. Sides were Milled to 5/64" thick.

The basic design is based on the early Martin Concert Ukulele with features found on the Martin D-28 guitar:
special checker back stripe, ivoroid bindings, bridge with pins, and maple heel cap and end stripe.


The backs and tops were "bookmatched" and glued.  The backs were glued with the back stripe between the two plates.

Comments